Get Help

Alcohol enjoyed smartly, legally, and in moderation can be a good and healthy part of students' social life.  But that's not always how things turn out: people make mistakes.  When things go awry, it's important to know how to address them, whether the problems are short-term or long term.

If your friend needs help immediately:

Call the Yale Police immediately at 203-432-4400, if someone is:

  • unconscious or unresponsive - OR -

  • unable to answer simple questions - OR - 

  • unable to walk unassisted - OR - 

  • vomiting uncontrollably - OR - 

  • exhibiting any other behaviors or symptoms that alarms you

Stay with the person until help arrives.

Call the Minibus (203-432-6330) to arrange a ride to Yale Health for someone who: 

  • Has consumed a lot of alcohol either quickly or over time, AND

  • Who is conscious AND

  • Can walk and enter the minibus unassisted

Stay with the person until help arrives, and if possible accompany them to Yale Health.  (If the intoxicated student is being physically supported and/or is actively vomiting when the minibus arrives, the driver will call the police for transport to the ER.) 

Call Acute Care (203-432-0123) for guidance from a Yale Health nurse if you are unsure what to do.


If you think you or a friend might have a longer-term problem with alcohol or other drugs:

You should get in touch with one of Yale's substance abuse counselors, who can help you think through this:

Marie Baker, Yale Health Substance Abuse Counselor for undergraduates 203-432-1891

Maury Steigman, Yale Health Substance Abuse Counselor for graduate and professional students 203-432-7366

You may also find it helpful to speak to your residential college dean or (if you are a Yale College first year) your froco.